Monday, May 9, 2011

Folded Paper Spring crafts.

Yesterday i decided it was finally time to take down our snowflake decorations, and our paper stars which were very faded. i wanted something new and spring themed to decorate our windows. Last week or so, i came across this picture from Little Acorn Learning. i really wanted to make some flowers for our windows, but when i sat down to make them i had completely forgotten where i had seen them. So i ended up creating my own flowers, inspired by the picture i had seen. It wasn't until i found the photo again, that i realized i had made mine very different. My petals are turned the opposite way, giving it the look of a lotus flower.


After making a few of the flowers, i decided to use the same basic folding pattern to create butterflies and dragonflies.

i made all of these using this Checkered Star pattern. i was going to post a tutorial for it, but there is a great tutorial for it here.
This is the main fold i use for stars, butterflies, flowers etc. You will want to practice this fold, as i use it for all of these spring paper tutorials.


First thing you want to do it cut your tissue paper into squares. i used 2 1/2" squares, but you could use 2" or 3", whatever works best for you. Once you have a bunch of squares cut in different colors, you will want to fold them all into the checkered fold.

For the Lotus flower. i used 5 checkered fold squares in Pink, and three in green.


i lined up the back petals first. Use a glue stick, to glue them together at the base.


You can click the above picture to see it closer up. Next i place the side petals, and use glue stick to secure them. Lastly, i add the very center petal and glue it on top of the other four.
Arrange two of your leaves underneath and glue in place.



The last leaf, i place over the other two, but slighty behind the flower. You can arrange the leaves and petals however you like to give the flower a slightly different look.




The butterfly is created using the same fold, with layered tissue paper. Click the picture for a tutorial on how to make it.



Click the dragonfly picture for a tutorial on making it.

i use my washable glue stick to stick these right in the windows. They make a beautiful spring decoration and are easy for kids to put together. You may have to do the checkered fold for younger kids, but older kids will be able to do it themselves.

Feel free to ask questions if anything isn't clear! Happy creating!

13 comments:

  1. SOOOO pretty! What a great idea! :) :) Perfect colors for spring! I have a LOT of windows I could treat with these! :) Thanks so much for a great blog post! XOOXOX --Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I think I will need to pick up some tissue paper next time I'm out and about. With the semester almost over I think I might actually have time to get crafty again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these!!! Maybe I can get the kids to make some this week.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got the hugest pack of tissue paper this weekend, we spent most of the rainy weekend coloring posters, but the sun still is not out, so maybe after school today...i know I am excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are so beautiful! My son is absolutely in love with them. I think I'll have to try those once I fine my kite paper again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! I was missing having our snowflakes and window stars up right now. I think we'll make some of these over the weekend. They are just perfect for this season! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love them. i wish we had this paper in australia...

    ReplyDelete
  8. this week in my classroom, i was staring at the winter star still hanging on the window and thinking about using the kite paper for some bright spring images there instead. and you went and did it for me!! thank you, thank you!! i will make some of these this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just lovely, I have one of these stars on my window, it is a rainbow day everyday for me. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fabulous project - thanks so much fpr letting me feature it over at TipJunkie!
    Lowri
    http://www.tipjunkie.com/papercraft-tutorials/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fabulous project - thanks so much fpr letting me feature it over at TipJunkie!
    Lowri
    http://www.tipjunkie.com/papercraft-tutorials/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! Very cool! I love your lotus flowers, dragonflies, and butterflies! I've been obsessively making window stars and heart transparencies, and most recently a shamrock design (http://loveinthesuburbs.com/wordpress/shamrock-window-transparency-tutorial). I'm going to try your designs and share this post.

    ReplyDelete